Every submission of a recipe or story entered into the Solar Chef contest will be entered in a drawing for an All American Solar Oven produced by Sun Ovens International, retail cost $389.00.
Each category listed below will have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner. Winning entries will be published in the 2020 Solar Chef Cookbook.
- 1st place: $50, a certificate and a 2020 Solar Chef Cookbook
- 2nd place: A Solar Chef Apron, certificate and a 2020 Solar Chef Cookbook
- 3rd place: A certificate and a 2020 Solar Chef Cookbook
- *NOTE: Multiple 3rd place awards possible.
Solar Cooking Stories and Articles
Stories and Articles related to solar cooking must be between 200 and 800 words. They must be submitted in either .doc, docx. or .pdf 12 point type. Times New Roman.
Memoir – non-fiction accounts related to solar cookers. Example: They could be how you discovered this unique culinary style, what your friends and family thought of it, or places you’ve taken your oven.
Articles: Examples: Unique uses for solar ovens, or subjects related to solar cooking. Information on using solar for food preservation or how to make a solar oven and other types of solar cooking education.
Judging of the stories will include the following:
- Does the story peak a person’s interest?
- Does it have an interesting title? Opening hook?
- Is the word choice and vocabulary appropriate to the subject?
- Does the story effectively explore or relate to the category in an interesting manner?
- Originality, is the perspective or presentation unique and fresh?
- Format: Does the story/article conform to the text, word count and other requirements?
- Construction: Does the work effectively communicate information/instructions and/or are all facts correct?
- Extra points: Photographs relevant to the story/article
NOTE: All stories, articles and photographs become property of RMK Publications to be used in the Solar Chef cookbook and/or any publicity concerning the cookbook. Winning entries may be edited for publication.
If you’d like a copy of the current version of The Solar Chef cookbook click here.
- Contest opens July 1st.
- Submission deadline is October 4th.
- Awards will be sent out by Thanksgiving